report this ad
With the exception of the top-of-the-line Roku Ultra, the latest Roku models all use Wi-Fi to connect to the network. Doing so is good if you have a remote at your hands when you«re using the device. However, it can be tricky to connect to a new network without a remote.
Ways to connect Roku to Wi-Fi without a remote
To connect your Roku TV you should know the Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and password saved on your Roku device. In this case, you can set up a mobile hotspot on your smartphone. You will need two mobile devices — to create a hotspot and to use a device as remote control via a special app.
That means the first will be needed as a mobile hotspot. The second you«ll need to use as a remote control. You need to download the Roku app to use as a remote on the other device. Now let«s go through the steps of what you need to do.
How to set up a mobile hotspot on your device
Before we begin, mind that not plans provide an opportunity to use a mobile hotspot. Before you use the hotspot option on your smartphone, check your data plan. You may end up having to pay for additional services if the option is not included in your plan.
The steps below are for an Android phone, but they are no different if you use iPhone or any other device with a different OS.
- Open «settings» on your phone and go to «Mobile hotspot». This feature is usually at the top of the list of available settings.
- Once there, select «Set up Mobile Hotspot». This will bring up the «Hotspot» menu.
- Immediately after the mobile data usage notification appears you will be proceed to the next menu. Click «OK» to continue.
- Add the Wi-Fi network information stored on your Roku device to the Mobile Hotspot Setup menu. Type your network name (SSID) and then scroll down to type in your password.
- After all of this, don«t forget to save the hotspot you created.
- Check your settings and connection instructions to make sure everything is in order before you tap «OK» and activate the mobile hotspot.
How to set up your phone as a remote control for Roku via the app
To set up your phone as a remote control using the app, do the following:
report this ad
- On the second device, download the Roku app for iOS or Android.
- When you open the app, tap the «Remote» icon at the bottom. This will allow you to use your phone as a remote. The default button layout of the remote is almost identical to the hardware remote.
You can also use swiping instead of tapping the buttons. To do this, you need to change the layout in the app settings.
How to update your Roku«s Wi-Fi settings with the Roku app
To update your Roku«s Wi-Fi settings you need to:
- Now, with the Roku mobile app used as the remote, you need to go to «Settings» on your Roku and select «Network».
- Once there, you«ll need to change your network settings to match the new Wi-Fi network you want the Roku to connect to.
- Once set up, turn off the mobile hotspot on your phone and connect it to the same Wi-Fi network that you just set up in the Roku.
- Use the remote control of the Roku mobile app in the same way as the original hardware remote control.
If you don«t have the option to use a mobile hotspot, you can still use the Roku app on your mobile device as a remote — until your mobile device and the Roku are connected to the same network.
This article was written by Vladimir Sereda and was reviewed by Vladislav Sheridan, a Managing Editor at Tab-tv, according to our Quality and Fact-Checking Policy.
Featured image credit: Roku Blog